Summer weather in Abilene can be a bear. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve put together some tips to help you out.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfortable and maintain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system operating dependably and efficiently, and Abilene Air-Tech Inc is able to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to operate more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure proper and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure accurate system airflow.
Another key to staying cool is consistently looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can raise energy bills and damage your equipment, which may lead to premature failure. Our Abilene Air-Tech Inc pros will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to set up your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you cool when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you regularly would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people seem to forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your home.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Abilene Air-Tech Inc at call at 325-200-4667 or request an appointment with us online.