Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Abilene Air-Tech Inc in Abilene about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Abilene Air-Tech Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Abilene Air-Tech Inc about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Abilene home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Abilene Air-Tech Inc a call at 325-200-4667.